Tuesday, May 17, 2016

May 2-4...ain't what it used to be

As we approach the kick-off-to-summer long weekend, lovingly known as "May 2-4" by us Canadians (in actuality, it's a weekend dedicated to Queen Victoria's birthday), we excitedly make plans for glorious backyard BBQ's, maybe some fireworks, a cottage getaway weekend and...wait for it....GARDENING! That's right London. For me, gone are the days of pure relaxation and tanning in the "let's pretend it's July" May sunshine.  It's a weekend of getting mulch onto my flower beds and pulling the darn weeds out of my haphazard lawn.  When did this change? When did I decide that succumbing to mother nature (on my hands and knees, no less) was a better option than drinking that 2-4 with friends and family?! I'm assuming it happened the day I closed on my house.  When I realized that the jungle that was my backyard needed serious taming if I wanted to enjoy any part of it in the hot, hazy summer months.  And tradition states that, in my household, gardening will seriously start in April and end MAY 2-4 weekend (not to be confused with maintaining my garden. Oh no...maintenance continues, joyously - yes, sarcastic is the tone meant there - for the whole of summer and into fall and even into December according to climate change over the past few years.)  That being said, I try every year to be as low-maintenance with my gardening as possible.  A few planters with some happy flowers here, some herbs there, LOTS of perennials that happily come up every year no matter how terrible my tending skills are throughout the summer months.  It still, however, takes work. As anyone with a yard knows.  The lawn needs TLC (nematodes for the  grubs which, ew, by the way, I don't touch... I realize they come in balls that dissolve in water but it still grosses me out), maybe some aeration, topsoil, fertilizer, grass seed... the list goes on. And then there's the watering.  All of that work to keep a lawn nice. Oh, and I completely support the idea of keeping dandelions on lawns for the bees. YES. Wholeheartedly agree.  Who doesn't love a yellow flower anyway? And if you have a rock garden or an English garden instead of a lawn (think pretty flowers, grasses, ornamental rocks, etc.) that still takes work since there's always weed-pulling, or rearranging to do.  My neighbour has a fantastic garden, both in his front and back yard and often he will find me peeking over, drinking in the gorgeous flower beds and carefully tended roses.  And he is out there every.single.day. in the spring, summer and fall.  No exception. 


Picture from Heeman's on Facebook
So, what makes this job easier? And let's face it...more fun? Well, I find visiting local greenhouses and garden centres in the spring a kind of therapy for me.  You walk into these places, and the colours and smells of all the lovely plants and veg just makes me want to buy it all and plunk it in my yard. I also find myself sauntering up and down these aisles and picking something that I might not usually gravitate towards.  A hibiscus in a lovely orange, you say? Why yes, please. That would look stunning on my patio.... a "Ketchup and Fries" plant ? How fun! Of course I need that!   All of the choices and variety makes me happy to be able to find a home for one of the beauties offered in these places. 

Keep in mind, I am talking about LOCAL places.  Heeman's being a personal favourite. Check out their website here (more on them later, because if you know Heeman's you know about their AMAZING strawberries!!!).  And Parkway Gardens out in Hyde Park is another great place.  I could list a ton more, but I'll stick to those two for now. For my flowers and vegetables, I really try to avoid the bigger stores, as those tend to a) clear out stock fast and b) give me hives.  Why do I get hives? Let me sum it up for you in one sentence:  Buying mulch from Costco on a Saturday afternoon in May.  NO THANKS.  Price-wise, I have to say that Costco is totally the way to go when it comes to buying in bulk.  And mulch is something everyone buys in bulk.  At $4 a bag (and it's a giant bag) who wouldn't shop there for mulch?  Apparently the entire city of London is in agreement with this steal of a deal because in one fell swoop a giant truckload of mulch was gone in two days.  Flat. And no, they aren't getting any more in this season. I checked already.

Going back to my local and lovely places:  If you want to saunter, enjoy, pick something neat, help out a local business and just "take in" the wonderful part of gardening? Go to local places here in London. Van Horik's, which used to be on Gainsborough near Hyde Park but closed last year, had a lovely koi pond and fountain display that I remember used to bring out the "zen' in me as a kid.  Heeman's (as mentioned above) has really unique items and always has great produce that's locally available when in season. Like I said, get their strawberries! Parkway Gardens has a beautiful selection of ready-made planters as well as great staff on hand to help you pick appropriate things for your type of yard or garden.  Take the kids too, and let them explore the herbs and vegetable section.  There are cute and tiny tomatoes, peppers and all sorts of plants can be purchased for your littles to grow themselves.

So, yes, May 2-4 isn't exactly the same as it used to be around my house, but it still signifies a great kick-off to summer and the promise of enjoying my backyard with that 2-4, and a green(ish) thumb. 

Have a great Victoria Day weekend, London!

ps. Feel free to share your fave places in the comment section below and tell us why. Especially if it's closer to a part of London that you live in. 

All the opinions expressed in this post are solely those of Locally Urban Mom's. No endorsement of any kind was offered and it is truly believed that these local places are a wonderful asset to our community.


4 comments:

  1. It’s good to have you back Locally Urban Mom.

    I run my garden much like many CEOs run their big businesses. Many of my decisions are reactionary, my vision is short-term, and all my strategies are “fiscally responsible”. This gives me plenty of time and plenty of left over capital for golf and other indulgences.

    I used to shop at the Cheapside Market, but it is now closed. I liked the place because the owner’s dog was always around. I thought the pooch was a nice touch, which gave the place character. One could also purchase dog food and other non-gardening things, which I also liked. I believe I purchased beef jerky there as well . . .

    I now shop at the Home Depot. Do Heemans or Parkway Gardens have dogs? I find the lack of dogs at the Home Depot concerning. Now that I think about it, perhaps it’s time, dog or no dog, for me to explore and find my new Cheapside Market.

    Thanks for the post. I’ll check out new garden centers in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the local businesses and their preferred pets. There was a music store downtown that had a dog there. I believe his name was (very aptly) Beethoven or Vivaldi... As for Home Depot, I must share this link: https://www.buzzfeed.com/justinabarca/what-its-like-shopping-at-the-home-depot?utm_term=.bv9m8yyEP#.fiwGVbb0m it nails the experience. My kid calls it the ORANGE STORE. She even says it in capitals. Your yard always looks perfect by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps sorry about the link... Might have to be a cut and paste :(

      Delete
    2. I found the Home Depot link . . . Very fun and pretty close to true. I like the story with pictures. I think the internet could do more of this . . . It's more work, and you have to search for the right picture or little movie, but it's cool.

      I went to the Home Depot on Sunday last week. It was cold and rainy out. I think we even had a few snowflakes in the air. The store was empty. It was glorious. This may have been my best Home Depot experience. I even got a great parking spot -- one that was great for loading the bags of mulch I purchased. Ah, when the Universe works in your favor, it truly is wonderful.

      Delete