Thursday, January 26, 2017

Hot burger in the city....

A friend of mine and her sweet little family is coming to visit us this weekend.  She is a Western alumna, so knows her way around the city.  We have a little debate going on though that I'd like to try and clarify here, and get a poll going on my facebook page. 
So, between the two families, we have four kids all ranging from 4 months to 6 years old.  We want to go out for a nice, juicy burger because, frankly, I don't feel like making my own at home this weekend! My friend LOVES J Dees Market Grill, downtown on King and Talbot across from the Covent Garden Market.  I love Prince Albert's Diner on Richmond Street (think classic 50s diner here).  What do YOU think, London? Where's a great place to go and feed three hungry kiddos, plus four burger-loving adults? Actually, two are on a carb-free kick right now... so taking into account "specialty diets" too. While pondering these two places, I've also decided to make a list of other great burger joints in the area.  I'm probably not going to list a place on here today if the word "Entrée" or "Three course" is on the menu. Sorry guys! Love to love these places, but right now, I'm thinking fast, kid-friendly and local (I'd like to stay away from chains for today, although I need to send a shout out to Montana's Steak House - my older kiddo's FAVE place to go).  Check out this list I've compiled of the burger joints I am familiar with.  As always, feel free to add your faves below :)

J Dees Market Grill

A place to go if you are feeling like a homemade, juicy, almost gourmet burger.  The cream cheese topping seems to be a favourite with a lot of folks, me included.  I like the atmosphere - large airy space, close to lots of downtown fun (especially if you want to catch a Knight's game on Friday) but I'd book ahead, as seating can get filled up fast. Check out their facebook page on the title link.


Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.ca

Prince Albert's Diner

 This place has been around forever.  It even made the show "You Gotta Eat Here" where host, John Catucci ate their famous peanut butter burger.  I personally LOVE going for their shakes.  Their milkshakes are classic and SO delicious.  The place is small though, so if you're looking to go with a larger family or friends, make sure to go on off times, if at all possible. But if you end up waiting, you usually don't wait long and it is VERY worth it. 

Norma Jeans

Although this place is known for it's great bands and rock gigs, they also offer some fantastic food, namely in burgers.  Now, I haven't actually been here yet (shame on me) but I am taking this advice from friends that DO go.  You can find them on Huron Street (North East London).  Choose earlier times with the kiddos to go (like, 5ish?) if possible.


Photo courtesy of www.facebook/globallylocal
Globally Local Restaurant

If you've read my blog posts, you'll know I'm a HUGE fan of this business and the people that run it. Check out my blog post on them here.  For years, they have been known around town as an all-vegan organic food delivery service plus organic food grocer, but now they have opened their own (the very first in Canada.. what?!) all - VEGAN restaurant AND food truck (be still my heart)! The restaurant can be found on Dundas Street right across from the Public Library.  They offer the infamous McInnes Burger (think Big Mac but vegan) and so much more! Go check them out - you'll be glad you did, even if you're not vegan.

The Early Bird Café

Ok, so I'm breaking my own rule (a teeny tiny bit) and mentioning this fab place.  You want an amazing sandwich COME HERE. So it's technically not a juicy burger place (but they do have burgers!). This place is known more for their amazing breakfasts and great service.  All around a good place to go if you're in the mood for an egg on your sandwich (you know the kind... that fried one that oozes down your fingers when you bite into the bread).  It was also featured on "You Gotta Eat Here." John Catucci ate the turducken sandwich, which is a must-try if you feel like having Christmas in one bite.  YOU GOTTA EAT HERE. Sorry, had to.

The Little Beaver

If you are from London, chances are you know about or have been to the Little Beaver out in Komoka.  A great, classic diner that is run by an awesome local family, this place offers yummy, classic diner food.  The burgers are no exception.  Great burgers, great fries and a great family atmosphere.  When I lived in Byron, my family used to go so often that the serving staff knew my little girl (she was 8 months at the time) by name and what she liked to eat, and would give her free ice cream to boot.  The best thing going for this place, other than the fantastic down-home cooking, is the friendly atmosphere. Come here for family food and fun. Love you, Little Beaver!

There are SO many more places that I could mention - little jewels peppered all around the city.  This is where you come in: Comment below with the local burger joints that you know and love.  Now go out and treat yourself and your family to some good old fashioned burgers!

Have a great day, London.



No comments:

Post a Comment