Friday, November 3, 2017

Feature Friday: Forked River Brewing Co.

Our Feature Friday blog is back with a vengeance! I thought I would pick a place more for the moms and dads this time around, and feature a great business that takes craft beer to a local and unique level. Being somewhat of a beer connoisseur myself, I love exploring small-batch brews and preferably as local as possible. For me, Forked River Brewing Company was a winner, both in taste and
originality. Also for its home-grown London awesomeness. 

Over the past decade or so, there has been a rise in appreciation for craft beers. So, what exactly entails a "craft beer?" According to craftbeer.com, "a craft beer is difficult to define...and can be a very subjective and personal experience."  Honestly, to me a craft beer means a small-batch brewed beer, that is unique both in flavour and in name (I mean, with names like "Hans and Franz " (Oktoberfest awesomeness) and "Holy Hand Grenade" you can't just find these anywhere), and is featured during certain times of the year.  The key is the small batch.  You can't just go to the LCBO, Beer Store or select grocery stores and pick these beers up whenever you want. Yes, there are main stream lines that are brewed and offered year-round, but the key to the ultimate "craft beer" experience is to taste AND savour these special brews in all their small-batch glory. 

All that being said, I'd like to introduce to you Forked River.  Founded right here in London, this company was started by three guys who had an appreciation for craft beer, plenty of smarts and a passion for bringing their love of craft beer to the local masses. These three London dads (Dave Reed, Andrew Peters, and Steve Nazarian) started the ball rolling on this brewing business in 2012 and haven't looked back since.  Focusing on very local, and very Canadian taste - they have come up with some amazing brews. Since my blog requires that I have background knowledge on my featured businesses, I did my due diligence, and tried out a few of their beers (although I have to say, I've  been buying this brand for many years now). Here are some of my favourites:

Capital Blonde: Named after the fact that London was supposed to be the capital of Canada (way back in 1793) this beer is light, not too hoppy and lovely to drink with pretty much anything. It has a hint of citrus which makes it refreshing.  Highly recommend if you like a lighter, versatile beer. 


Photo Courtesy of Facebook
Flanders Red: Just the name alone made me want to buy this beer.  It's a limited edition beer brought out around Remembrance Day. It's a barrel aged Flemish red ale - hearty and perfect for this time of  year.  The beauty of the beer isn't just that it's really good, but proceeds from this beer also goes to a veteran's charity.  Be still my heart. I'm a HUGE advocate of Remembrance Day and honouring our lost soldiers and our war veterans made this a GIANT win for me. I think I only left like, two bottles at my local LCBO. Sorry, neighbours.  


Riptide: I can find this one pretty much all the time, which is a bonus for me, since it's become a go-to brew for me this fall. It's a stronger taste, with bold hoppy flavours.  I like it as my Friday beer. So you know what I'll be enjoying this evening. 

There are so many other great choices from this brewing company.  The one thing I recommend is going to visit them, and check out the brews for yourself. You can book a tour on Saturdays at 1pm, 3pm or 5pm. It's free, so bring a few of your friends (up to 10 people per tour).  I also encourage you to check out their website where they have a list of all their beers. Find it here.  They also have events posted throughout the year - like the Forked Fest they held this past summer, honouring their 4 year anniversary. You can keep up with their event listings on their website or Facebook page

I salute these three London dads, as well as their awesome staff for creating a truly Canadian, truly "London" craft beer experience.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go stock up so I can enjoy my evening with my Forked River beverage(s). 

Have a great weekend, London.

Cheers! 

Forked River Brewing Company Contact Info:

Website: 
http://www.forkedriverbrewing.com/

Address:
45 Pacific Court, Unit 4
London, ON N5V 3N4


Retail Store Phone No: 519-913-2337

No comments:

Post a Comment