Thursday, November 30, 2017

Step into a wonder-filled world

(Photo courtesy of Facebook)
As a big supporter of all things local, and well-crafted I always keep my eye out for products that not only match these requirements but catch my eye and interest as well.  While at the Preschool of the Arts last week, I noticed that they supported a few local, small businesses, one of which creates wooden toys.  These toys weren't just your average "blocks" or stackable toys, however.  They were colourful and very whimsical in nature. Having a son who LOVES puzzles and blocks, I had to find out more about this product. 

Turns out these wooden toys are made by a small company called "Family Tree Woodworking" and this particular line of toys is under their "Twigs" branch (see what I did there?!).  The company specializes in all things wood.  You can find them on Facebook and see the many products that they have to offer.  From cutting boards, to custom name puzzles, to centrepieces, this little woodworking shop makes everything from locally sourced wood, and the attention to detail makes every single product unique.  I was lucky enough to pick up two of their stackable, inlaid puzzles and had a chance to really take a look at the quality and craftsmanship up close.  


(Photo by Locally Urban Mom)
The first thing that caught my eye was the packaging.  A small detail, but so crucial to making the whole product all that more lovely for the buyer.  The toys come in individual boxes that are tied with jute, and evoke an old-world, whimsical feel.  The particular puzzles that I got were a rainbow and a polar bear in an aurora borealis background.  Upon opening the box, the fresh scent of cedar filled the room and the colours of the toys just popped.  I was immediately drawn to the organic shapes. Hand-carved and sanded, the curves of each piece are soft and child-friendly (no sharp edges).  They are surprisingly light and just scream "play with me." The adult in me, however, wants to display these on a shelf, they are so pretty to look at.  Each puzzle piece is unique, and can either be stacked back into their original shapes or used for other creations. 
(Photo by Locally Urban Mom)

I gave the polar bear puzzle to my son (who is almost three) to see what he would do with it, and he played "cave" with the bear, created new outlines with the pieces, and even chewed on one.  I wasn't worried since the toys are made with natural, non-toxic paints and wax finishes.  I found that the puzzles encouraged my son to use his imagination - although each puzzle is a specific type (rainbow, polar bear), the individual pieces allowed for him to create other things and even add to his toy collection (he used one of the pieces as a bridge for his train set).

Overall, I was impressed with this product.  I have been looking for unique gifts to buy for the little ones in my life and this is definitely going on my list.  Locally sourced, locally made and a quality product.  You can't beat that.  Their products can be found at the Been Garden, as well as a few other local shops, or you can contact Family Tree Woodworking directly via Facebook.  I highly recommend you put them on your things-to-buy-for-Christmas list this year.  You won't regret it and the lucky recipient of such craftsmanship will appreciate the lovely, local gesture. 

Have a great day, London. 

No comments:

Post a Comment